Buster Cupcakes

Buster Cupcakes
Buster and I are making all the cupcakes out of "Hello, Cupcake" by Karen Tack and Alan Richardson, like Julie Powell did with Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking". We are open to gimmicks of any flavor!







Hey, nice cupcakes!







Friday, March 19, 2010

Valentine Candy Cupcakes- April Fool!

It's my birthday- shake yer funky umpie!
It's that time of year -Spring- the flowers are blooming- the parka goes downstairs-I have to kill the flies that come in the open windows while the animals lie around and eat bon bons and watch Nip/Tuck reruns- and--- I have to put on shorts to take the dog to the beach! They're gonna start calling me "cupcake stumps", really.




So I began experimenting with the Agave Sweetened Flourless Chocolate Cake recipe for these cupcakes. Agave- nectar from the same cactus that brings us Tequila - so it's still good- has a lower glycemic index and is more of an espresso buzz for me than the true crack of the sugar high. Right out of the oven, the cake tasted better than the Whole Foods version- but I do think we'll have to serve it warm and with tons of fruit juice sweetened soy ice cream to cut it. It's basically chocolate and butter and sweetener.

I couldn't get the dark chocolate frosting in the microwave dipping technique to work with the agave sweetened frosting- too runny. Maybe more butter and some real sugar!

I was reading Julie Powell's blog- The Julie/Julia Project, and I must say I like her more in the blogsphere than in the movie. She swears! She was hunting for marrow bones in New York City in the winter, so I had to give her that as I tried to track down a Valentine's Candy box in San Francisco on a 70 degree Saint Patrick's Day. Seven stores later we found one at Shaw's on West Portal! Walgreen's has a whole lotta candy and I don't think I am going to find anything I need this whole year of cupcakes at Whole Foods. I did try Rainbow grocery and they did have powdered soy milk! Mmmmmm, nice cupcakes!

1 comment: